Thursday, October 26, 2006

Reason #217 why I love Homeschooling

When everyone needs a "timeout" you can take one and not get behind.

Yesterday Jewel was struggling with her Singapore Math lesson, It was "count the ducks/cows/pigs and write the number in the box. She would count it without any problem, but when she would go to write the number she was consistently writing a different number--2 instead of 5, 4 instead of 8, no real rhyme or reason. I'd ask why did you write a 2 and she'd say because I want to. I'd ask what were you supposed to write and she'd say 5, but I don't want to. And on and on. And I got frustrated. And she got mad and started crying. So I said, "Neither of us are ready to do school right now. I'm frustrated and will say something mean and you are crying and can't work while your crying, so go play for 15 minutes then we'll try again."

She stormed to the play room and played on her Barbie computer (counting and sequencing games) and then brought her Magnetic Drawing Board to sit beside me and practice drawing her numbers. Forty-five minutes later she said, "I'm ready". And she was. And the lesson went smoothly.

Time outs are a good thing. #217 of good things. lol